No Other Dish The Same: Granny's Oatmeal Bread - Baking Fail

I was sort of stumped as to what to make this week, since I wasn't making a dish for a certain occasion. Then, passing by my coffee table, I noticed my cookbooks. Remember cookbooks? Those precursors to the internet? Frequently I forget that I actually have a decent set of cookbooks, and instead I default to cooking blogs. My cookbooks are delightfully weathered with post-it notes inside them and somewhat disheveled pages.

This one is called Vegetarian Planet by Didi Emmons. My very good friend gave me this book six years ago (isn't it crazy that 2008 was six years ago??). I'm not a vegetarian, contrary to popular belief, but I don't particularly enjoy cooking meat. Choosing the right kind, making sure it doesn't go bad, and ensuring it's cooked for me is pretty stressful. Cooking meat will be a challenge later this year.

This recipe is called "Granny's Oatmeal Bread". Why, you might ask, did I actually try and bake again, given my record? Well, at a time in my life when I was an Outdoor Education Instructor living in a commune in Vermont I did manage to bake a few successful loaves of bread. I also had all but two of the ingredients. Finally, I thought it if turned out somewhat decently I would have breakfast for a couple of weeks. Breakfast is one of those meals that I simply haven't gotten down yet. What do you all eat for breakfast?

Here's the recipe:

It seemed simple enough. Yet, after an unexpected happy hour complete with mojitos, I wasn't entirely with it. Trying to keep juggling all the ingredients at one time proved to be too much.

This is me, wondering why on earth I even try to bake??

Then, I realized something. It was 9:45 pm, the dough had to rise for an hour and a half, and then the bread had to bake for an hour. So....I gave up.

I'm going to let the dough rise, try to set an alarm to get it into the refrigerator, and try to bake it tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Needless to say, I won't be enjoying Granny's Oatmeal Bread for breakfast in the morning.

This morning, I got up an hour early, put the loaves into the oven, and went back to sleep. An hour later, the loaves were, as I had suspected, hard as bricks on the outside and still a bit gummy on the inside. Turns out that after the dough rose the first time, I was supposed to let it rise a second time. Whoops.